Saturday, September 12, 2009

Florence-The flower of Italy



The second big stop in my journey was Florence. It is a breath-taking city surrounded by magnificent architecture and unbelievable masterpieces.I could have easily lived there for a year just taking in the sights and admiring the art. I was overwhelmed at the beauty of the paintings in the Uffizi gallery and wondered how these great painters managed to create something so divine. It was a very spiritual experience which I will forever cherish.


This is one of the paintings which I thought was amazing.It's from a postcard though since we were allowed to take photos in the gallery. Magnificent artists such as Botticelli, Lippi,Raphael to name but a few can be found in this gallery.
Florence is a must if you are planning a trip to Italy especially if you like art and architecture. Besides this, the city has a lot to offer. Lovely cafes and restaurants,nightlife, fantastic street performers from all over the world and very friendly people.Let's not forget it's also a great place to shop;-)

3 comments:

Tinsie said...

So, which one would you recommend most? Rome or Florence? I don't care for shopping.

Kate said...

I think Florence. The piazzas are beautiful, the buildings majestic and the artwork mesmerising. Maybe we can go together next year.

Tinsie said...

I'm always up for it :-)