Saturday, September 12, 2009

Roman Holiday






This summer, I decided to visit Italy for my summer holidays. I have always wanted to go as I have been intrigued by its vast history and culture. My first stop was Rome which was amazing. I fell in love with the historical centre and I could almost feel myself going back in time(if it weren't for all the tourists). I couldn't believe how well-maintained their historical sights were. Each piazza (square)had something new and amazing to see. No matter where you looked,you'd see sth of interest. I was mesperized by the beauty and craftmanship of their churches. Just sitting in them you feel a sense of serenity and peace.



The city at night was rich with a spicy aroma of savoury dishes. Unfortunately it was quite hot and sticky and we didn't have much of an appetite except for refreshing gelato;-) We walked along the Tiber river which runs in the middle of the city. During August small kiosks and bars are set up so that the Romans who are unable to leave the city and enjoy their evenings. It was a great opportunity to meet and get to see the Roman lifestyle.
The Trevi fountain was one of my favourite sights. It is said that if you throw a coin into a fountain and make a wish then it will come true and you will return to this place with the one you love. There were hundreds of people there and it was very difficult to take a good picture.

I can't say that I was all that enthusiastic about the cuisine though. We didn't really eat out that much as it was quite hot and we were never in the mood. We tried to find tradional restaurants to eat at but I have to say that my pizza is better;-)

On a whole,it was an amazing experience and I would like to go there again one day.

1 comment:

Tinsie said...

I love the photo of the Trevi fountain! The tourists give it an extra edge :-)