Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Greek Museum

Last week I met up with a freind visiting from Torontoand we went to the Archaeological Museum on Patision.I was happily surprised as many changes have occurred. There were new exhibits including one on Ancient Egypt. I really enjoyed it(more thatn my friend I think). I can't wait for the new Acropolis museum to open in September-October.

The artwork and artifacts from Santorini is exceptional. I'd love to visit the museum there as well to see what else they have found from the cities which had been buried in lava during the volcanic explosion.

It's a real shame that we don't promote our cultural heritage more. I mean I only found out about Delos island between Tino and Myconos a few years ago and was in awe at the magnificent artifacts taht can be seen there. It's an entire island full of artifacts from different eras and civilisations. It is definitely a "must see"for those of you who are interested in history.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

its good to know about it? where did you get that information?

Tinsie said...

Sounds good. It's a long time since I've been to the Archaeological Museum in Athens. In fact, it's a long time since I've been to any museum in Athens full stop. Maybe next time I'm there...

Kate said...

I've been there and I have to say it was a fantastic experience. I'm sure if you google Delos you'll find out a lot about it. We went over from Mykonos and there is a ferry boat every 45 minutes or so. You have to be off the island by 6 or 7 though.